- Does BPM has Rules? yes but typically not full-features BR. Rule changes may require redeploying processes with IT involvement.
- Separate rules from process: externalize decision from process. Call BRE from BPE.
- Benefits from separation: compext rules automate manual process, reuse rule across processes, change rule without processes.
We are pushing, saying and we are delivering projects since 4 to 5 years where we have a clear separation between decisions done by business rules from process flow, and designing solution where the business process is calling the decision service. In ABRD I even clearly propose this approach as a best practice for the reasons mentionned above:
- different velocity of change and agility
- reuse of decision point
- better version control and change management support in BRMS
We are still at the lower left part of the SOA maturity adoption matrix and the Agility Chain Management.